Monday, October 28, 2013

Giving back and giving it happily

Do you give back?  A happy giver gets much more back in return. How much should you give back? In the Bible, the tithe is 10 percent.

In the following verse, we see that Jacob determined to give 10 percent: Genesis 28:22...and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee. Jacob prayed to God that whatever God gave him, he would give back a tenth. That is still true today.

I was suddenly curious as to why 10 and not 12 percent. So a bit of research later (Number in Scripture. It's Supernatural Design and Spiritual Significance. E.W. Bullinger. (See suggested reading in the right sidebar.)). The number 10 is a "perfect" number and signifies the perfection of Divine order. Ten marks the completeness of order, and implies that nothing is wanting; and the whole cycle is completed. For tithing the number 10 represents the whole of what was due from man unto God, and marks and recognizes God's claim on the whole.

Many people I have talked to over the years tell me they cannot afford to tithe 10 percent. I explain to them in order to be blessed, they should be happy to give 10 percent. I would not even think of not giving 10 percent now. But when I began to tithe I also did not think I had it to give. I was very burdened with debt and the paycheck was not big enough to pay all I owed. I decided that I must do what the Bible taught and begin tithing. Not to mention the 10 percent I started out giving would not help that much with the bills anyway, so I convinced myself that I had nothing to lose and everything to gain.

And gain I did. From that point in time, I have not been without enough money to pay bills! It has been very comforting and peaceful to no longer be in debt as well. And not being in debt began with hearing the information about tithing and applying this principle to my life since it was obviously a principle set forth in the Bible.

If you want to give more than 10 percent, then you are abundantly sharing. This is way cool! ;)

So, the take home message, give back of what you receive at the minimum 10 percent. Oh and give it with a happy heart. 2 Chr 9:7: Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver. I like, no love, that God loveth a cheerful giver :).


May you be blessed with all the blessings that God has to give. I pray this is the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Again I give thanks and reference to BlueLetterBible.org. It's the "go to" for my Bible references: http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=Dan&c=6&p=0&rl=0&ss=0&t=KJV  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and for commenting. Comments are reviewed prior to posting. You will be notified via the blogger email system if your comment is posted. Comments deemed as spam, vulgar and/or profanity will most likely be deleted.